Are you feeling tired, burnt out, or exhausted? Are you experiencing issues with adrenal issues like stress, sleep disturbances, or energy problems? Do you struggle with fertility issues like PMS, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), or irregular/painful periods? If you answered yes to any of these questions, keep reading to learn how a DUTCH test can help you.
Often, men and women come into my clinic unaware that they are suffering from a hormonal imbalance, which may be presenting with symptoms such as headaches, bloating, mood swings, fatigue, anxiety, depression, decreased sex drive, and weight gain. With these patients, I almost always recommend they get a complete DUTCH test.
The DUTCH test stands for Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones it is the most comprehensive test available for testing hormones. The test measures the following hormone metabolites from dried urine samples:
- DHEA and DHEA-s
Recognized for its ease-of-collection, and comprehensive reporting, the DUTCH test provides a unique look into your hormones that is not available elsewhere. Here are some reasons a DUTCH test may be right for you:
- Stress or Adrenal Issues: If you’re experiencing issues with depression & anxiety, managing stress levels, or a lack of energy, your adrenal hormones may be responsible. Testing these hormones and their rhythms, specifically the HPA axis (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal), gives us a look at how your adrenals and brain are communicating. The HPA axis is part of the endocrine system and is a key regulatory pathway in maintaining homeostatic processes. This influences our immune function and our body’s response to stress. When actual or perceived stress occurs, your HPA axis is activated and cortisol is produced. Altered cortisol levels can lead to a multitude of health problems, such as acne, chronic fatigue, nausea, and weight gain.
- Fertility Problems: For fertility problems, such as decreased sex drive, irregular or painful periods, moodiness, endometriosis, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), fibroids, or PMS, the DUTCH test is the gold standard for identifying hormonal imbalances that may be the culprit. These conditions can be associated with imbalances in the adrenal or reproductive hormones, and the DUTCH test gives us a comprehensive view on what might be contributing to these issues.
- Difficulty with Sleep: Melatonin plays a vital role in regulating our sleep/wake cycles. If your melatonin is low, or your cortisol is high, you may experience difficulty sleeping or staying asleep. A melatonin deficiency can be associated with certain forms of dementia, mood disorders, and how the body handles pain.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: If you’re using HRT, it’s essential to monitor your levels, and this test works uniquely well for testing for those using oral progesterone, vaginal hormones, patches, pellets, and injections.
- DHEA and DHEA-s: DHEA is a key precursor hormone that our body uses to produce other hormones, like estrogen and testosterone. Also known as the “feel good” hormone, low DHEA can cause fatigue, a decrease in muscle mass or bone density, aching joints, loss of libido, and lowered immunity. The DUTCH test measures DHEA and DHEA-s, which is an alternative form of the hormone, and your patterns will provide further insight into your DHEA production.
- Estrogen Disruptions: Estrogen Dominance is a form of hormonal imbalance affecting women, and involves abnormally high estrogen levels, possibly due to the production of progesterone. Potential symptoms you may experience with this condition include: PMS, painful periods, fibroids, tender or fibrous breasts, or endometriosis. Alterations in the metabolic pathways for estrogen can lead to health problems like estrogen dominance, as well as certain types of cancers like breast, cervical, or uterine cancer. The DUTCH test detects levels of estrogen and can help identify instances of nutrient deficiencies or genetic mutations associated with your symptoms.
We have had the honor or working with and helping countless men and women combat their hormone issues with the DUTCH test. Each test is unique, and the findings will influence the unique protocol that will help you heal your imbalances and find your optimal wellness.
To find out more about if the DUTCH test is right for you, schedule your appointment today.